Monday, July 7, 2008

Thing 2 - Library 2.0

Looking at Webopedia's glossary of Web 2.0 terms, I realize that I'm familiar with most of them but don't necessary have direct experience with all of them. I'm not on Second Life and am not part of the gaming scene (unless hide-and-seek with my son counts). My library does have a blog with an RSS feed on our homepage, we have a Flickr account, we provide chat reference services, and we see students spending a LOT of time on Facebook. (Out of curiosity, I joined Facebook recently and can see why students are addicted, but am not convinced students want to see libraries/librarians there.)

I'm not sure I'm entirely convinced by John Blyberg's argument, but I think the degree to which Library 2.0 resonates with a person may depend on one's library. My library is always looking for ways to provide better access to information and point-of-need service. Our library's focus on teaching also means that we look at our physical and virtual spaces through this lens. You could call it Library 2.0, but we've been doing it longer than Library 2.0 has been around.

Having said that, without much direct experience with many of the 2.0 applications, I'm looking forward to the "23 Things" journey and the potential that my mind will be changed by the time I'm through!

No comments: